Is it safe to travel alone in Tanzania?25th February 2016 bushbuck
If you are travelling to Africa alone, personal safety is probably your first concern. Solo travelling to Tanzania is perfectly safe. This is mainly because you will be in the company of your safari provider the entire time, in their vehicle. Tourism is popular in Tanzania and provides a magnificent experience for all tourists, hence you need to visit the delightful country and experience the company of the warm and gracious local people.
When travelling to a country alone, it is imperative you are able to communicate with the native people. Tanzania is the perfect place to travel if you only speak the English language. Tanzania and Kenya are great choices for countries if you wish to travel in East Africa. In addition, Tanzania, provides good transportation facilities. This reduces the risk of getting lost. Despite Tanzania being a tourist friendly country, follow these tips to make the most of your solo trip:
- When travelling to a foreign country, it is imperative you dress appropriately according to your surroundings, especially for women travelling alone, dress modestly. One third of Tanzania’s population is Muslim. This means no tank tops, no tight shirts and short skirts. Pack some leggings as they are great for wearing with shorter dresses.
- If you are in a situation where you no longer feel comfortable travelling on your own, find yourself a travelling companion or simply make a new friend. It’s easy. Most tourists prefer to travel in groups anyway. Women travelling on their own can specifically ask for female guides. Some travel companies even specialize in travel adventure for women. There are also a number of hostels you can stay at for a ladies-friendly environment.
- Leave all your fancy jewelry and valuables at home. Walking around the village side or marketplace with your favorite gold necklace around your neck is bound to attract attention. Keep your passport, visa, and important documents in a safe. Not carrying your valuable items will allow you to enjoy your trip more as you will spend less time worrying about your valuables being stolen.
- While cheaper flights generally arrive at night, flying in during the day will be more beneficial for you. This will allow you to get to know your surroundings. However, if you are unable to book a day flight, do not panic. There are several tips you can follow to make your arrival more comfortable, like booking your accommodation in advance. Booking your stay in advance is a greatly convenient option to ensure you can get some rest as soon as you come to Tanzania, as you are likely to be suffering from jetlag.
- If you are traveling solo to Tanzania for the first time, it is probably a good idea to hire a pick-up service that will pick you up when you arrive. If the driver or taxi is late for any reason, remember not to panic. Find other tourists to stick by to or staff members who can assist you in reaching your destination.